Romance in its best form

This is my second post of the day, which never happens, but I am in a very "loving" mood today. This past weekend, not only did we celebrate my best friend's bachelorette party and bridal shower, but I curled up with a Nicholas Sparks book and finished it in two days, then proceeded to watch the movie that was made.

This happened to be called, The Longest Ride.

Now anyone who knows me knows that I am a hopeless romantic. I like all of that sappy stuff that Sparks writes about and I am a sucker for romantic movies. The book, Pride and Prejudice, happens to be my favorite book of all time. I have read it about 5 or 6 times since I was first introduced to it back in 2011.

Put on a romantic movie or stick a book in my face and I am completely content for a good few days. So last night happened to be my "Romantic Movie Night." I watched many beautiful romances that were not cheesy or predictable. One of those did happen to be The Longest Ride.

Although the book and movie were different, as they usually are, I still loved them both for different reasons. The plot lines for the two couples, however, were still the same and they still made me cry. Not because they were sad, you see, but because they were so beautiful. The love expressed between them was undeniable and amazing. And as I watched more as the night went on, I came to the realization that this does not exist anymore.

Being in a relationship lately has nothing to do with romance or love. It simply has to do with sex and social media. The romance has died with a lot of couples and has been taken over by phones and the internet. Women watch a Nicholas Sparks movie and say that that is what they want in a man, but then, what seems like a minute later, all they want is a physical relationship. When they have a fight with their significant other, they simply give up and put no effort into working it out.

I am not one of those people. I am one of the few who still appreciates the little things her significant other does for her. I don't ask him to be Prince Charming and sweep me off my feet every single time I see him; I ask him to be kind and to listen to me when I need him. I ask him to be honest with me every second of every day. Whenever I receive a gift from him, it is always something he knows I would love. But the gift is not the important part. The important part, and the romantic part, is that he listened to me when I said it. We have fights just like everyone else. But we sit and work through them because we know that what we have is too beautiful and important to just throw away.


When I want to see something that is cliche romantic, I watch one of those movies or read one of those books. And then I sit there and I think back on my relationship and realize how happy my boyfriend makes me. I don't look back on the presents and the stuff; I look back on our moments together. I think back to our first kiss and how nervous we were, the first time we told each other that we loved each other, the times when we have been by each other's sides through good things and bad. Those are our romantic moments that no one else can have, because they are ours.

Romance, in that form, is the best that you can have simply because it is only for the two of you. No one else can experience those moments and feel what you felt. But it is still rare and we are a dying breed. All anyone looks for now is physical and material gestures; they will never experience the beauty of someone just simply loving you. And because of that, there will always be something missing from their relationship.

Cherish what you have with someone who just simply loves you for being you. They do not come around very often. I cherish every moment I spend with my boyfriend because I know that he is the perfect man for me and vice versa.

Comments

Popular Posts