Dreams Do Come True

Have you ever had a dream that you were convinced would never come true? Well I feel like we all do. Mine goes back about 15 years to when I was around 6 or 7 years old. Everyone from the 90s/early 2000s remembers the groups like Backstreet Boys and N'Sync. They also remember the craze of Aaron Carter, BSB member Nick Carter's little brother. He is considered by many the "Justin Bieber of the 90s baby generation." (Except for the fact that he was 10000x better lol).

Well, just in case you don't know for some reason, about every single girl in the world was in love with him. We all had his pictures on our walls, our school binders, we had his Ken Doll, all of his CD's; you name it, we had it if it had to do with Aaron Carter. And of course I was one of those girls. I was convinced when I was 7 years old that I was going to marry him someday. No exaggeration. I knew everything there was to know about him, and that's impressive (and a little creepy I know) seeing as this was before internet was big.

Around that time, he came to CT for a concert and I begged and begged my mom to go. I knew all the words to every one of his songs and told her it would be worth it. She said no. I was so crushed that I didn't talk to her for at least a week. When I went back to school after the concert had come and gone, I had a friend who went and told the class that he was Aaron's biggest fan. So, of course, I had to prove that I was his biggest fan. So to upstage him, because I was a silly child lol, I sang and rapped one of Aaron's songs in front of the whole class. Most embarrassing moment ever but to me it's actually a fun fond memory :p


Through the years I never actually lost my love for AC. He dropped off the circuit and got involved in some not so great things. Even through that, I still loved him deep down, even though I was disappointed to hear that stuff. Then a few years ago, the tabloids did an interview with him as he talked about how he was clean and turning his life around. I turned into a proud fan, not only because it was him, but because of what he was doing with his life. So about a month ago I found out that he was coming in concert in CT. The tickets I had found were about $80 and I honestly couldn't justify spending that kind of money at the time so, as upset as I was, I had to let it go. Then I found out the ones I was looking at were the meet and greet tickets and the actual ones only cost about $25. So obviously I was thrilled. I texted my friend and didn't even hesitate buying them. Even though I wouldn't be meeting him, I was finally going to an Aaron Carter concert. And that was enough for me.

At the concert, a girl who tours with him was selling shirts and the opportunity arose to be able to meet and greet him there. I was hesitant (mainly because I hate spending hard earned money and also because I was scared) but all I could hear in my head was my sister, Kim, saying, "You will always regret this if you don't do it, Kate. He is not any of the other celebs you ever 'loved,' he's Aaron Carter. Just do something fun for yourself for once." After hearing this plain as day, my friend said just about the same thing and I knew I had to do it. The concert was amazing; he performed a lot of covers and a lot of new music which was actually very impressive, as well as two old favorites for the crowd (I Want Candy and Aaron's Party (Come Get It)).


We stood in line for about an hour outside in the cold because of the amount of people, just to get an autograph and pictures. I kept calm on the outside, but on the inside the 7 year old me was freaking out. As I was showing the DJ how to work my camera, AC leans up at the door of the room and stunned me. It didn't completely register that it was him, though, until he told us to come in and I stopped walking about about a half of a second. I heard my sister's voice in my head again telling me,"You have to keep walking, Kate. Walk toward him. He's just a guy." He didn't notice I had stopped for a second, thankfully, but I found that kind of funny. We got autographs and pictures and he even gripped my shoulder really tightly when the DJ asked for me to step out so my friend could get a picture first and said, "No I want her to stay. I like her!" I blushed so much lol. We got hugs from him after and thanked him for everything. He was one of the nicest guys I have ever met and I am still in shock from the whole night.

So after reading a post that you all just don't care about, I will tell you the point of this. Dreams do come true. Having disappointment at 7 years old from not being able to see him live made this night, almost 15 years later, extra special because it was a childhood dream come true. God is good, guys. And He works in really funny ways. Never give up on your dreams. No matter what they are or how stupid you or anyone thinks they are. Because, as you can see, you never know when they will come true. It could be 15 years from now ;)



Comments

Popular Posts