What you learn losing people so young

Losing loved ones at any age is difficult. It is never an easy thing to deal with, even when you think that you are prepared for it. The fact of that person being permanently gone breaks a part of your heart and leaves a hole that is never filled. I always try to look on the brighter side of situations, even the brighter side of death. 
But there is no brighter side to death...right? Wrong. Yes, the pain of the loss is excruciating and it never goes away no matter how long it has been. But you can think of the fact that your loved one is no longer in pain and it can be a comfort to some. However, I will shed some light on what it is like losing loved ones, who are young, when you are also very young. 

At age 10, I lost a very dear friend of our family, my "big brother," in a motorcycle accident. At age 13, I lost my big sister to a deadly disease when she was only 22, my parents lost their daughter. At age 15, I lost my uncle (my cousin lost her father) and my beloved dog in the same year. At age 17, I lost a surrogate grandfather. At age 20...3 days before hitting 21...I lost another "big brother" to suicide. At age 21, I lost the only actual grandfather I had known. At age 23, I lost my father and my grandmother, 9 months apart.

Now I don't post all of this for sympathy or looking for people to feel sorry for me. That's not it at all. You start to learn things when this happens.

You grow up very quickly
You realize that no one lives forever
You start to appreciate life and your loved ones more than you used to
You take pictures of EVERYTHING because you want it to last forever
You try to live your life to the fullest and try to live for your loved ones who passed
You have an entirely new outlook on life
You examine your beliefs and thoughts
You say "I love you" to people more often
You put aside your anger and grudges because you know how quickly life can change
You spend more time with the ones who have a special place in your heart
You just start to think and perceive things in a different way


When you realize that life is a fleeting thing, you make the most of your time, because you hold in your heart the ones who didn't. You remember their good, you let go of their bad, and you keep their memory alive every day. You make sure people remember them.

Kimmy

Alan

Pop

Nick

Kimmy and Kasey




Kimmy and Nick

Dad







Uncle Rob

Grammy

Me and Grammy

Mom, me, and Dad


Comments

Popular Posts