Do what you love, love what you do

For those who feel as though they are not doing well in their lives and are not where they should be, let me shed some light on you. First of all, there is no timeline. You can take as much time as you want to go after your dreams. At almost 23 years old, I was feeling like I should have it all figured out. I should have a stable, well paying job and start to settle down. I thought, "Hey, I'm in my 20s. I'm not a child anymore. I need to get my life together," but after graduating college I found that there were no jobs.
My bills started adding up more and more and trying to figure out how to pay for them was starting to worry me. I took the first stable job I could find and you know something, I was miserable most of the time. It paid well enough so I could live, but I was still living with my parents and could not afford to be on my own. This was also not even close to what I wanted to do with my life.



Most of my friends were gaining well paying jobs, doing what they loved right out of college, and I was working in a job that was not getting me to where I wanted to be. I was consumed with making money and getting out of my parents house. I was down on myself all the time and felt like I was failing as an adult. I tried to find a different job but applied to over 20 and was either turned down for too much experience or because I was "not the right fit."

I sat down with friends, family, and God and said how I felt and wanted to know what my calling in life really was. I was lost. So you know what I did? I remembered the one job that I truly loved. I took the leap, got my certification and started my own event planning business. I quit the job I was unhappy in and found a job whose hours work perfectly with my event schedule. Although it was a pay cut, I have been much happier working in this place and much happier going after my dream. 


Money, as important as it may be, is not my main prerogative. I make enough to pay my bills and to save for the future. I make enough to where I can live and, you know what, I am actually very happy. Still living with my parents is hard sometimes since I am ready to have my own place, but I still cannot afford one on my own. And that's ok. 

Going after your dream, no matter what it is or who is with/against you, is the most important thing you can do. It takes dedication, hard work, and a lot of courage and support. And also, in my case, prayer and faith. 

At 23, we are not meant to have life figured out. If we can pay our bills everyday and do something that we love, that is enough. If we love ourselves, that is plenty. And if we support each other, then we are already figuring life out. 

As long as we are happy in what we do, that is all that matters :)


Comments

Popular Posts